With the new generation of business analysts in the industry, some clients overlook the importance of trusting the experienced analysts. Technology advancement is not enough to forget about the edge of those who had established their reputation. It is still better to consult the long-time professionals. Keith Towns is a perfect example of a business analyst who explores his field of specification. He prefers to focus on “Information Technology” in order to make himself suitable for the needs of the clients. Multi-tasking or performing multiple jobs may just distract him from doing his best.
Here are the things you should ponder if you want to be as competent as Keith Towns:
- Learn the basics. Before reaching far, it is quite necessary to obtain the basic skills. Generally, business analysts are critical thinkers, good communicators, and problem solvers. Passion alone will not bring you to the peak level of success. One must invest on learning the primary information and the deeper concepts as well. Just like Keith, you are expected to analyze requirements, utilize BA tools, make visual models, and come up with requirement specifications. After mastering these skills, you should strive for additional knowledge.
- Resourcefulness will unlock the questions which are not yet answered. There are times when one cannot find solution to a problem due to lack of knowledge and skills. What will you do if you want to clarify an ambiguous concept? Certainly, you will try different options to arrive at the best choice. It is also ideal to use alternative paths if the initial ways did not work. Amidst challenges, Keith Towns does not stop exploring. He is very resourceful on obtaining the answer he needs.
- One must be technically skilled. In a world where we live today, it is not anymore applicable that someone prefers manual operations. A good business analyst is expected to be computer literate and at ease on finding solution.
- You should be confident enough in making decisions. Choosing the path of becoming a business analyst asks confidence from a person. It is not ideal that someone is always uncertain and hesitant to pursue a project. If you will be scared on taking actions, there will no such thing as “growth” and “progress”. In doing functional and technical design, a business analyst needs to have a clear mind.
- Strive to obtain new skills. Instead of being satisfied with the activities you usually do, an aspiring business analyst should exert effort in discovering other strategies. In making requirements, it is very important to try something new. Applying innovative techniques will surely boost marketability and improved sales record. Keith Towns is highly skilled in business analysis, project management, product analysis, and more.
- You should know how to negotiate with others. In terms of design concerns, there must be series of consultations in order to avoid missing chances. No improvement will occur if a BA and the client will not talk about the expected outcomes. In taking the steps, there should be collaboration. Just like Keith Towns, you should practice great communications skills.
- Project management must be one of your competencies. Aside from knowing the basic information, one must be versatile on the aspect of project management. You should go away with the attitude of a child who is still dependent on his parents. You need to be proactive and knowledgeable of all details. When we talk about meeting the deadlines, Keith Towns does not really wait for the exact date. Instead, he accomplishes things ahead of time.
Keith Towns will be your best buddy in carrying out projects for your business. You just need to interact with him accordingly.